Subject: Re: Modeler questions?
From: Ace Miles <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 13:03:48 -0700

At 12:02 PM 4/8/96 -0700, you wrote:

>        The first question involves surface normals.  I cut a section out of 
>a sphere and then wanted to close the top and bottom openings.  I checked 
>the manual and then selected the points (in clockwise order) and pressed "p" 
>as indicated in the manual.  The solid preview showed a polygon closing the 
>hole, however when i selected it, i couldn't see a surface normal. The poly 
>had 32 sides and when i tripled it, i got lots of normals.  The stats 
>windows said that it wasn't "non-planer" before i made it all 3 sided polys. 
> Any ideas ?

Not sure about this one. I have had things like this happen but it usually
had to do with non-planar polys or forgetting to merge points. Anybody now
what's up?

>        Two: I needed to extrude a poly after i had rotated it off of it's 
>axis (i know, planning is everything).  Is there a macro or plugin to 
>extrude in the direction of the surface normal? I worked around the problem 
>but for future reference, i would like to know.
>

What you're looking for is "Smooth Shift" in the multiply panel.

-Ace

Ace Miles -Sr. Animator
    Atari Games
[email-masked] (work) 
 [email-masked] (home)